Monday, November 5, 2012

Bossypants, and my legs

This past week, I picked up a few audio-books at the library to enjoy as I drive around town each day. Today I popped in Tina Fey's "Bossypants", which is also narrated by Tina Fey. I love it when an author reads their own work in audio-books or in live readings, it really adds a lovely dimension to the story that can otherwise be lost.

Anyway, she mentioned a turning point in her life when she learned just how many things can be "wrong" on a woman's body. Shortly after, she took stock of herself, parts of her that aren't perfect, and that she wouldn't change. I like this idea, and so decided I would do the same:


  • My freckles - they're mostly only on my arms, and I like them. I didn't always, I just wanted those freckles they talk about in stories, "a dusting across her nose" sort of deal. But, I don't want to look like a character in a book.
  • My pale, pale legs - I will never be tan. Even "flesh toned" hosiery is obviously not MY flesh tone, and  this is something I have come to accept, and embrace. Pale, pasty, nearly glow in the dark skin works surprisingly well with the 40's and 50's styles that I love so much
Not me/my legs, but might as well be. I match the walls, too.


There's probably more, but those two come to mind immediately as things that I have had issues with in my life. I think perspective really does come with age and experience, and frankly, appearance has little to do with anything in life. Yes, it's important to be neat and clean, but frankly, that's about it. I like to feel pretty, but whether you think I'm pretty has no bearing on my life. 

I'd like to say I don't care what others think of me or my actions, but that's simply not true. At the same time, it truly has no bearing on my life, and I care a LOT less now than I did when I was younger. I am looking forward to the freedom of not caring one whit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, fiercely!