Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thoughts, ramblings, and crafts in progress

Today marks the beginning of Lent, the 48 days or so before Easter. Lent is often called the "40 days of Lent" or what have you, but Sundays are "feast days", and so aren't counted in those days. In the last few years I've begun observing Lent, as I do agree it is good preparation for the week before Easter, and the celebration of Easter. If you're not familiar, Lent is a season of reflection and renewed focus on Christ in your life. Many people see the outward signs of this, with sacrificing certain pleasures, etc and seeing if they can manage for the entire time period.

I read something today that was simply an opinion, but one that deeply resonated with me. The idea is not so much of giving something up, but rather it's an idea of sacrifice. Christ sacrificed his life for us, and Lent is a time to sacrifice ourselves as well, though not literally, of course. Sacrifice may be giving something up, or it may be giving of yourself MORE. For some, Lent is a time to spend every penny they would have spent at a store, on a charity or on items that are then given to those in need.

For others, it is a time of giving time itself to those who need it around them. Lent is incredibly personal, as many spiritual rituals are, and is different for everyone.
I always enjoy this time, because while I do sacrifice something, I learn a great deal about myself during that time, and I feel my faith is renewed, and fresh and joyous come Easter.

Thus ends my thoughts on Lent, at least for now. I'll probably post more as the season progresses and things pop into my addled head!

------------------------------

You might have noticed, the 2012 MLS season is about to begin! Saturday, March 10th is first game of the season, and Monday, March 12th is the first Timbers game of the season!! I am so very excited about it this year, having been through the first year and learned so much about the game itself. Our team line up has changed, and while I was a bit sad to see players I liked watching leave the pitch, fresh faces and tons of energy are coming with these new names!

-----------------------------

This leads to crafting. I must have a Game Day Outfit. Yes, it also must be capitalized as well, because it is simply that important.

I don't recall how often I've spoken on here of my love of 40's and 50's American fashion, but it's there. Sometimes I swear I was born in the wrong era. I ADORE these fashions, and am creating my outfits based on this love. Game Day Outfits will be poodle skirt/sock hop inspired, and tons of fun.

I have two planned, as games span the greater length of the year, and I need one for warm and for cold weather. First up, cold weather, of course.

I have a green felt circle skirt, and bright yellow crossed axes that are waiting to be applied onto it. I have a full petticoat to go under it to give it the perfect pouf! Searching E-bay resulted in a fabulous bright yellow scarf for my hair, which will be up in a snazzy ponytail. Hubs scored me a wonderful white polo with a color, buttons, and a beautifully embroidered Timbers Army crest. I already have green knee-high Portland socks!

The final piece is the shoes. I need something comfy, but that will also go with the outfit. I still have a couple of weeks to find them, but nothing has made me swoon just yet.

The warm weather outfit is the same, except I have a lighter material for the skirt, that is a silky green and yellow swirl with glittery bits all over it. MUST HAVE GLITTER!!!

I'm sorry, I don't have pics just yet, but I will soon!
--------------------------------

In knitting and crocheting news, I'm working on something Timbers related there as well. I can't reveal just what yet....oh but there WILL be pictures of this. It is going to be incredible. Sounds all cocky, doesn't it? It's not. It's a team effort, and I'm telling you, it's going to be SO FREAKING COOL.

Just wait lovies, it'll be so worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, fiercely!