Friday, October 30, 2009

Ch-ch-ch changes


Since discovering the blog Under $1000 Per Month, I have been reading through it, and feeling that this could apply to me. Not everything, mainly due to the fact that I am still in a full time job, so things like making my own pasta and cheese, while tempting, are not realistic right now. However, as I believe I've mentioned before, I and my little pod family live with hubby's parents. 

We are a family of 5 with a cat, and yet, night after night, MIL is the only one cooking dinner. I have never in my life taken to cooking. It intimidates me the way crocheters are intimidated by the concept of creating with TWO sticks instead of one. I know it works, I see it work for others, heck I watched Julie and Julia with fascination.

But, me? cooking? Seriously?

Thinking about my dear MIL (really, she's an angel, I love this woman) cooking every day, even on weekends, and often cleaning up afterward with nary a complaint, I feel horribly guilty. As I should! We've added three people to her house, our mess, our clutter, our noise, and yet aside from paying our portion of the rent, I really don't feel like we carry our portion of the burden of keeping it up.

That is about to change. Since I am still scared of cooking (silly, I know, but I am), I am taking one day per week to start out. I will cook dinner start to finish, and clean up. At least in the beginning, these will often be crock pot dinners. But they will be tasty, warm, and filling.

Along the same vein, hubby and I have agreed that November 2009 will be our No Eating Out Month. We eat out, on lunch and on weekends, entirely too much. So much so, that it's starting to cause issues, and so we're going to do something about it. This means lots of planning: dinners for me to make, and lunches for both of us to ensure we're not stepping out.

Dear readers, what are your favorite frugal tips, crock pot recipes, and tips for keeping Bag Lunch Burnout at bay?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, fiercely!