Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lazy Weekend

This weekend, I ended up laid up in bed for both days, all day long! I'm finally feeling better, and I'm very stiff and feeling those weird jitters of pent up energy from two days of inactivity. Earlier today, I tried a little yoga from the blue-ray player. Our player has several built in video options, and a specific yoga series. I hadn't tried it before, but I figure now is as good a time as any, as I was having trouble just lying in bed.

I cleared a little space on the floor, threw down my yoga towel and hit play. Well, I'm already spoiled with the studio yoga, and let me tell you, I do NOT care for the chick leading this yoga series on my player at home. I'm going to see if I can find some good routines on YouTube, or other sites that I can do at home, because I am determined to practice at home in addition to my 2 days a week at the studio.

Do you practice at home? What do you follow in your practice? Why do you love it?

I've gotten a lot of knitting accomplished this weekend, and a TON of reading! Late last week, I picked up a Cosmopolitan magazine for the first time in years, and camped out in bed with that and two library books. I read straight through the magazine, and while it provided entertainment, I was reminded why I don't typically buy it/read it. Perhaps I've just outgrown that stage of life? I'm not sure what it is, but the appeal is completely gone for me. After that, I finished reading Zombie Spaceship Wasteland, by Patton Oswalt. This book was really an entertaining read of various stories from his life and career. I had started this one a few days ago, and it only took about 2 days total to read it, because I kept wanting to see what his next story would entail.

Finally, I finished reading The Other Wes Moore. I understand this book is being talked about a lot and is on one of the best seller lists, etc. I only found out about it because our library was giving away copies of the book for Everybody Reads 2011. The local library does this every year, and it's always interesting to see what book they choose to feature. Having finished this book, I can see why people are talking about it. It's a well told story of two men's lives, and how minute differences took them down drastically different paths.

This book has lead me to thinking - I love supporting Blood: Water Mission with the Meanbean sales, but I'm also drawn to support local needs as well. In the back of the book, the author has compiled an amazing list of organizations that serve the youth of our nation to provide education and support resources for children who would otherwise be hard pressed for these. In Portland, there is a branch of the I Have a Dream Foundation, which helps children from a young age onto the path toward college. For the children, Dreamers, who graduate high school with the Foundation's help, guaranteed tuition assistance is provided.

With our city having schools with impossibly low graduation rates, this is something I feel would make a difference in our local community. I will begin supporting this foundation part of the year, and Blood:Water Mission the other portion of the year, with the sales of Meanbean bags and products.

Now that I've poured my heart out, I must sign off. My Fair Wedding is on, and I'm such a sucker for wedding shows, especially when most of the time they pull off something incredible :) Hope your weekend was amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, fiercely!