Saturday, February 26, 2011

That's so hot

It is! About 105 degrees F hot! A while ago, Groupon had a killer deal out for a local yoga studio that offers Bikram Yoga, also known as "hot yoga".

From what I understand, the theory behind this is that the heat helps you open up, while it also helps loosen the muscles and joints.

So, after work today, I headed to my nearby Target, loaded myself up with clearance items -

Yoga mat? Check.
Towel? Check.
Water bottle? Check.
Shorts? Check
Clingy exercise top? Check.

I was all set, so I set off across the river, and quickly found the little studio hidden away in a partially filled shopping center. It's very easy to get to, and there's plenty of parking. The owner herself often runs the counter and/or teaches, and was the one who greeted me today. I felt very welcome as soon as she did, and the other class participants greeted me with smiles and friendly tips for a first timer.

As I waited in line for the bathroom, a gentleman started talking to me, asking if it was my first time, etc. He was so nice, and again made me feel so welcome, it really put me at ease. I was finally ready to enter the studio and attempt to acclimate to the sauna atmosphere before class began.
One of the easier poses

I unrolled my mat at what I thought was the back of the room, but turned out to be the middle of one end...oh well! At least I wasn't in front. The reason is because I need to be able to watch the other people in order to see what I'm supposed to be doing.

We got started, and I soon realized that a girl just a couple people away from me, in the front row, was an amazing practitioner, and has probably been practicing for years. She was easily able to do these poses:
Camel Pose (I could only lean back)
Toestand (I was dizzy, I sat and watched, didn't even try this one)
Don't know the name, also didn't try this one

At the same time, there were others there for whom it was not the first time, who were unable to go as far into a pose as inflexible me. People of all shapes, sizes and ages were there, and it was very, very nice and non-judgemental from all sides.

I left exhausted, sweaty, still in my shorts as the snow flurried on my way to my car, and thoroughly happy.

I went back the next night for another round!! Day two consisted of my drinking more during class, having shorter resting periods, and the ability to do more of the poses, and hold ones that I couldn't hold that first night.

I can't wait to see what 10 weeks of classes will do for me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, fiercely!