Thursday, July 29, 2010

Vocabulary Lessons


I started this entry to come talk about how I"m about to be gone for a while, how excited I am, and how I should be working right now to finish things up before I go.

So, I opened m-w.com (Mirriam-Webster Dictionary's site) to find some alternate words for "excited" that might convey the vibrating feeling inside me a bit more clearly. The home page always has something interesting, but today's really caught my eye, and I need to share it before we move onto my original topic.

Retrosexual

Definition:a man who adopts a traditional masculine style in dress and mannersExample:
"Think of him as the anti-metrosexual, the opposite of that guy who emerged in the 1990s in all his pedicured, moussed-up, skinny-jeans glory. That man-boy was searching for his inner girl, it was argued. The retrosexual, however, wants to put the man back into manhood." — Lini S. Kadaba, Philadelphia Inquirer, Apr. 7, 2010
Submitted by: West4th, NY
Editor's Note:
Retrosexual is a word that has been used in two very different ways.
It sometimes describes an old-fashioned "manly man" – e.g. a beer and football-loving guy who cares little for his appearance.
But it has also been used, as in the example above, to describe someone who self-consciously adopts traditional masculine styles – e.g. old-fashioned manners and clothes typical of the early 1960s (think Mad Men).

This is a new word to me, and one that I love. I don't know anyone who I would consider as someone who falls into this category (of traditional male styles, not the beer jerk guy), but I know men who, given the option between retro and metro, would choose retro in a heartbeat.
I leave the country tomorrow. TOMORROW people. Excited doesn't cover it.
Entry Word: excited
Function: adjective
Meaning: 1 being in a state of increased activity or agitation <excited trading on the stock exchange followed in the wake of the favorable economic report> — see feverish 1
2 showing urgent desire or interest <everyone was excited about the upcoming family vacation at the ski resort> — see eager
Feverish? While I don't have a fever, I AM highly agitated, but in the best way possible.
Have you ever been so on edge, anticipating something SO MUCH, that it feels like you're literally vibrating inside your skin? Like you have to jump around, skip, run, do anything to keep from being still because your skin might actually decide it doesn't like the motion sickness you're giving it, and leave on vacation?
 
No?
 
Figures...I'm just odd in yet another way. I have no IDEA how I'm going to be able to bear sitting on the airplane for 10 hours, but I'll do my best not to drive my dad crazy. Sorry dad, in advance.
 
Entry Word: feverish
Function: adjective
Meaning: 1 being in a state of increased activity or agitation <scary stories that were the product of a feverishimagination>
Synonyms agitated, excited, frenzied, heated, hectic, overactive, overwrought
Related Words ardent, burning, fervent, fiery, impassioned; high-strung, jittery, jumpy, nervous
Phrases keyed up
In learning the meaning and synonyms for "feverish", I'm thinking this is the ideal word to describe what I'm feeling today.
 
Jittery, jumpy, high-strung and keyed up....Hi there, it's me again.
 
To add to my excitement, a package arrived for me yesterday, which included this lovely dress!! It was an absolute steal, it looks fabulous on (and will look more so when the pounds start dropping off), and it's comfy. What more can a girl want?

I've finally found a work out partner, someone who lives near me (2 blocks!) and her kids and my kiddo love hanging out. We've been on two "power walks" so far, this last one including about 500 yards of lunges...holy cow. We've agreed to get in shape together, and she's a great partner for this stuff: encouraging, motivated and able to work with my insane schedule. Thanks Lisa for doing this with me! :)

I'm going to sign off now, as my To-Do list that's hanging near me is taunting me, saying I'll never get it all done.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, fiercely!