Thursday, March 1, 2012

And so, the search ends...kind of

You know how you come up with an idea, inspired by who knows what, and you become a dog with a bone and can't let it go? That is a perfect picture of how I have been with this Game Day Outfit. I started off just wanting something different, that's very ME. The team jerseys are cool, but they're not me and I don't care for how I look in them. I wear t-shirts almost daily to work, and I want Timbers days to stand out from all the other days of the year.

So I began thinking...what do I love? I love poodle skirts! I have since I was child, and my ever-amazing mother made me pink poodle skirts year after year. Well, they're just circle skirts, of which I've made many for little M, so that was easy enough.

Oh but then...what to wear with it?! Matt to the rescue, as he was trying out various t-shirt companies for screen printing, and had a polo made for me with the Timbers Army crest embroidered on it. Score!!

I already had the killer green knee-high Portland socks, so those are a given.

With the poodle skirt, you are just about required to wear your hair in a ponytail with a scarf...and Ebay got me a great poly-chiffon scarf for $3. Score!!

Now I am left with three things I need:
  1. a simple long-sleeved shirt to go under the polo for cold days (I'm not hiding my outfit under a big coat if I can help it!)
  2. shoes that are both comfortable, and outfit-appropriate, preferably in team colors
  3. a petticoat, so my skirt is the proper fluffiness
A little scouting has shown me that Target is the place for the long-sleeved shirt, where I can pick one up for the -same price- as a very worn one at Goodwill. Don't get me wrong, this girl LOVES thrifting, but dang. Goodwill is NOT my go-to thrift store anymore...if I can buy new for the same price as a worn item at Goodwill, I'm not going to be buying worn...sorry guys. So, that will be acquired in the next couple of days.

More scouting, thrifting and Googling has shown me that the style of petticoat I want/need is in a higher price range than I'm willing to venture into. Sewing machine to the rescue!! For a fraction of the cost, I can make an accurate 50's reproduction petticoat, that should work for both warm and cold weather skirts.

My final items are the shoes. I'm probably going to have to spend more than I want in that area, but with my ridiculous feet that are teetering on the edge of plantar fascaitis (I'm sure I butchered the spelling of that!), I can't just pick up random cheap shoes and call it good. We don't sit at the games. Between that and waiting in line prior to the game, etc...my feet and back need serious support. I'm really hoping to score some saddle shoes, but those seem to start around $40 for a good pair, which is what I've spent on the rest of the outfit altogether!

So, we'll see what happens with the shoes.

In the meantime, if you know of a great source for saddle shoes, please let me know, I'm all ears! (Feet?)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, fiercely!