Thursday, December 3, 2009

Another random tip!


Today's sewing tip is brought to you by the letter "I", for "interfacing"

I work with fusible interfacing almost exclusively, simply for ease of use. I see no reason to sew in interfacing when fusible does the job, and does it well.

That said, it can be tricky. Something to ensure you're happy with the end result, and please do this, don't experiment or you'll just end up sad. I learned this one the hard way.

When you lay your fabric down to be fused to the interfacing, make sure to iron the fabric first. Get all the wrinkles out of it, because once you add the interfacing, those wrinkles are pretty much there to stay. I had thought that, since the interfacing itself is iron-able, I could fuse it, THEN iron out the wrinkles.

Oh so wrong.

Even if you heat the interfacing and pull it off to iron just the fabric, the wrinkles are pretty much set in there. I don't know why this is, specifically, but it is, and it's not fun when you're a perfectionist.

On that same note, take an extra 10 seconds to hold your interfacing to the light and MAKE SURE THE SHINY SIDE IS DOWN before ironing. Fused iron to interfacing not only smells bad, but takes ages to clean off your iron.

Please, I beg of you, learn from my mistakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, fiercely!