Monday, December 7, 2009

Hey, what's that thing on your head?


Today, for the first time in my life, I'm wearing a headcovering to work. I am not typically someone who covers their hair, but I have been interested in this aspect of faith for some years now. I've read various sites, went to so far as to purchase a few scarves, and read more. I've prayed about it, thought about it, but never took any further action.

I was spurred on today by several different factors. None of them hold more weight than the other, at least for now. This morning when I left the house, it was 22 degrees F outside, with a bitter wind blowing. When I woke up, I had approximately 10 minutes until I needed to leave the house. I've been meaning to try out wearing this, but had intended to do so at home.

Due to the cold weather, no one has said anything to me, aside from the big boss commenting "Nice! That looks warm"

The wrap does keep my ears and head warm, hides my unwashed hair, etc.

I'm finding that sitting here at my desk, I'm holding my head differently, due to having this one. It's very light, etc, but I'm accustomed to the only time of having something like this on my head being a towel. So, I think it will take some getting used to.

One of the driving, personal reasons for wanting to do this is pride. I've always been told my hair is (fill in pleasant adjective here).  Now, pushing 30, I worry that I have an unhealthy pride in my appearance, specifically my hair. I've always done things with my hair, trying various styles, cuts and colors...and I see nothing wrong with that. But, I know the pride I have inside, the dark monster that sits there seething, feeding on the lovely kind compliments I've given, growing bigger and bigger.

I"m not sure if covering my hair is a solution, or another adornment that will feed that pride. Perhaps this is a trial to see. I"m quite happy, it's nearly 4 pm today and only the one comment. I'm thinking due to the cold, and our office furnace being unable to keep up with the sudden drop in temperature, wearing something of any sort on the head isn't that usual right now.

In the Christian community, there are many long-standing, sometimes raging, debates over whether the Bible says that women are to cover their heads or not. It often boils down to a single passage in which Paul is writing to the Corinthians regarding their behaviors, and what they should and should not be doing. No one has come to any convincing conclusion for my taste for either side. I simply feel that if you feel the need to cover yourself, be it your head, your arms, ankle, what have you, then do it. I believe that small prompting is the quiet voice of God nudging us toward His will. I also believe that not everyone is called to cover, just as not everyone is called to be married.

At this point, I would not say that I am called to cover my head, but I AM drawn to it, and like I said, have been for years. Having been a spur of the moment thing today, I think I will continue wearing the scarf, and pray about it, and my pride issues, and follow my heart as things progress.

I know this can be a touchy subject, but I would love to know your thoughts. Please remain considerate of your fellow readers in the comments, and know that any flames or personal attacks to ANYONE, myself or another commenter, will be deleted.

Do you cover your head? At certain times, all the time? What are your reasons, or reasons not to?

I would also love to know what you think when you see a woman whose head is covered. Do you make certain assumptions? Do you really notice? does it move you? Perhaps negatively?

If you do answer, please let us know your country location, so perhaps we can see the cultural differences in the views we all hold.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, fiercely!